Over the last ten years, in their Specialist work (Anna with Shoulders/Spines, Lou with Hips and Eliza with Pelvic/Hip/Spine and Women’s Health), the trio have been helping patients with hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (hEDS) and Hypermobility Spectrum Disorders (HSD). The team have attended specialist training courses, international conferences and Anna has embarked on a PhD, which will involve specialist research to aim to help hEDS and HSD patients with physiotherapy and Dynamic Elastomeric Fabric Orthoses (DEFO).
Unfortunately, due to ill health, Louise is no longer working, however, Eliza, who has worked extensively with Louise and her hip patients (with hEDS and HSD) over the years, has taken over her caseload. Eliza has Hypermobility herself and has found this to be helpful in her understanding and management of patients.
Our specialist skills that we have developed seeing these patients with these conditions has given us greater understanding of not just the tissues we are treating, but also the holistic approach required in management.
Anna and Louise have also had the unique experience of shadowing Dr Jane Simmonds and Dr Ann McCarthy, Expert Hypermobility Physios at The London Hypermobility Clinic.
Our hEDS patient feedback has been very positive with our Physio approach which aims to help pain, soft tissue issues, joint and muscle control through gentle, graded exercise, hydrotherapy, hands-on treatment, massage, acupuncture and electrotherapy modalities. We are also happy to write letters to help our patients.
We also have our Physiocure® Team onboard as at all of the hEDS conferences and Master classes, they advise this in optimum management of these syndromes.
Anna Higo, Director of Physiocure wins Ehlers Danlos UK Community Champion Award
EDS UK Community Champion Awards!
"2023 has brought more nominations for Community Champions within the EDS and HSD community. In this issue we highlight our most recent recipient who has both gone above and beyond in either raising awareness, promoting and disseminating education on the syndromes, supporting people with EDS or other significant contributions such as adaptations and inclusivity. The awards also celebrate innovative products which make a difference to the lives of people with EDS or HSD.
Congratulations to Anna at Physiocure on being recognised as an EDS UK Community Champion! The award was presented to Anna by Lisa, our West Yorkshire volunteer along with Sally, a Leeds member who was one of the people who nominated Anna for the award."
The value of Dynamic Elastomeric Fabric Orthoses in the management of a complex Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome patient: a case report
The Physiocure Team, in collaboration with Coventry University have had a new paper published. To read/share/download this open access paper, please click on the link below.
Physios Helping EDS Patients - Feature In PosAbility Magazine
"When Anna Higo attended a physiotherapy conference with her business partner Louise Grant, she was drawn to a DM Orthotics stand. Having had a painful shoulder for years, she was interested in seeing if a shoulder orthosis might help so she tried one on..."
Anna Higo, Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos (hEDS) Specialist Physiotherapist and DM Orthotics joined together to produce a webinar on the work that Physiocure and DM Orthotics do together to help hEDS patients
For more information on DM orthotics please visit them at www.dmorthotics.com
Anna Higo recently had the honour of presenting the role of Physiotherapy in the management of HEDS at the College of Podiatry Annual Conference 2019
She was among a panel of top researchers in this area including Dr Emma Reinhold who devised the GP Toolkit for EDS and Dr Jill Halstead-Rastrick.
Anna said of the experience "It was an amazing opportunity to try and educate more health care professionals in recognising this group of patients and managing them appropriately."
Anna And Louise Have Article Published With DM Orthotics In 'Fragile Links'
Anna and Louise have had a article published with DM Orthotics in 'Fragile Links' (the Ehlers-Danlos Support UK Charity magazine) on their work together helping Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos individuals.
Louise Grant Was Delighted To Be Invited By Dr Jane Simmonds To Co-Present For The Ehlers Danlos Society ECHO Program
Physiocure Delighted To Have Formed Links With The Beautiful Splint Company For The Benefit Of The HSD/Heds Patient
We are delighted to have formed links with The Beautiful Splint Company for the benefit of the HSD/Heds patient.
Tips from Physiocure for Physiotherapists on Hypermobility, Hypermobile Spectrum Disorder (HSD) and Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos (hEDS)
- Physiotherapy - we use hands-on treatments such as soft tissue release, electro therapy modalities and acupuncture for pain relief alongside exercises, taping, advice and we liaise with our team for a 'seamless holistic approach'. To book Physio, ring 0113 261 1999.
- One to One Pilates - using a gentle graded approach with a slow pace to avoid fatigue this can gradually help build some muscle strength to help your posture and joints. Breathing exercises can also be added to help POTs, sessions are in a quiet private room with just yourself and our instructor. This is done in conjunction with being under the care of the Physios at Physiocure as they can liaise together to help your problems. To book with Corrie ring 07515 998555.
- Psychotherapy/Hypnotherapy - highly recommended by the top hEDS doctors to help with pain and symptom management. Our therapist has a lot of experience dealing with patients in pain who are looking for ways to help themselves. To book with Sue, ring 07720 274326.
- Physical Trainer - This is gym based and for those patients who are ready to progress from the foundation exercises of Pilates. Our Trainer assesses you and designs a bespoke program for you. This is best done in conjunction with being under the care of the Physios as they can liaise together to help your problems. To book with Tom ring 07530 660530.
- Podiatrist – Jo, our Podiatrist has expertise in working with Hypermobility patients and does a full lower limb biomechanical assessment before making bespoke insoles for you on-site. To book ring Jo on 07980279884
- Orthotist – DM Orthotics visit our Physiocure clinic once a month to see our Hypermobility and hEDS patients who can book in for an assessment to see if their products may help them. DM orthotics are a world leading creator of medical rehabilitation and sports performance products. They provide elastomeric fabric dynamic orthoses with strategic reinforcement, biomechanical panelling to provide stability and support but also allowing dynamic movement. Patients also report the compressive element of the garments help with proprioceptive feedback. To find out more, visit their website www.dmorthotics.com or ring to book in with Merlin Young their Orthotist on 07714586155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aquatic therapy – one to one exercises in the pool (patients need to be able to access the pool via the ladder, and be independently mobile. There is unfortunately no other pool access). This service is currently closed due to the Covid procedures within the Health Club.
- All of our services are private, our prices are on our website. We are happy if patients just want to come for a 'one-off' session, or as and when you need. We can tailor things to suit you.
- Ehlers Danlos GP Toolkit - https://www.rcgp.org.uk/clinical-and-research/resources/toolkits/ehlers-danlos-syndromes-toolkit.aspx
- The Ehlers Danlos Society - https://www.ehlers-danlos.com
- Ehlers Danlos UK - https://www.ehlers-danlos.org
- The Hypermobility Syndromes Association - http://hypermobility.org
- Hydration leaflet from Dr Ann McCarthy at The London Hypermobility Unit - Download [PDF]
Testimonial from a patient with Hypermobility Ehlers Danlos Syndrome -
I just wanted to drop you a line to thank you and let you know what a positive experience it was to bring XXX to meet you last night.
Despite the initial relief after seeing Anna, XXX has been getting progressively more ‘down’ about her health. Her fatigue had worsened (I wonder if she finally felt she had ‘permission’ to be exhausted?) and her attitude was heading in the more negative direction. By the time we got to you she was irritated, miserable and struggling to see the point.
You turned it round within 10 minutes and I was quite emotional as I listened to you convince her (us) of her strength and abilities. She liked you very much and I am sure this will all translate into a commitment to her exercise and the results this will bring.
XXX has headed off to sports day this morning convinced of her ‘superpowers’ rather than fretting over what might hurt by the end of the day.
We both very much look forward to working with you to help her get stronger.
With heartfelt thanks
Mother of XXX
"I have now been diagnosed with EDS and inflammatory arthritis after years of being told that the pain and blackouts were due to growing. Anna was the first person to talk to me like an adult with any measurable intelligence and she has helped me to get a diagnosis."
"Working with Tom, the personal trainer at Physiocure®, has helped strengthen my muscles and improve my core stability so I can get back to running. This means the world to me."
"I have now been able to see a consultant rheumatologist in London who is helping me manage the Arthritis and EDS."
"Thanks to Anna and Tom for taking me seriously when nobody else would. Without the help and care from both these people I would not be in the place I am now."