Over the last few years, in their Specialist work (Anna with Shoulders and Lou with Hips), the duo has increasingly been seeing patients with Hypermobility and Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (hEDS). We have developed a special interest in this and so have attended additional training and learning with Advanced Practice Hypermobility and Ehlers Danlos courses and International conferences. Our special skills that we have developed with seeing our patients with these conditions have given us greater understanding of the tissues we are treating and also the holistic nature required in management.
Anna and Louise have also had the unique experience of shadowing Dr Jane Simmonds and Dr Ann McCarthy, Expert Hypermobility Physios at The London Hypermobility Clinic.
Our hEDS patient feedback has been very positive with our Physio approach which aims to help pain, soft tissue issues, joint and muscle control through gentle, graded exercise, hydrotherapy, hands-on treatment, massage, acupuncture and electrotherapy modalities. We are also happy to write letters to help our patients.
We also have our Physiocure® Team onboard as at all of the hEDS conferences and Master classes, they advise this in optimum management of these syndromes.
Anna Higo recently had the honour of presenting the role of Physiotherapy in the management of HEDS at the College of Podiatry Annual Conference 2019
She was among a panel of top researchers in this area including Dr Emma Reinhold who devised the GP Toolkit for EDS and Dr Jill Halstead-Rastrick.
Anna said of the experience "It was an amazing opportunity to try and educate more health care professionals in recognising this group of patients and managing them appropriately."
- Occupational Therapy - (helps not just with physical aids to assist independent living but they also are trained in to help mental health with fatigue management, low mood and confidence building through practical methods). We periodically run a group work shop to help this, so please email us if you wish to be contacted about future ones.
- One to One Pilates - using a gentle graded approach with a slow pace to avoid fatigue this can gradually help build some muscle strength to help your posture and joints. Breathing exercises can also be added to help POTs, sessions are in a quiet private room with just yourself and our instructor. This is done in conjunction with being under the care of the Physios at Physiocure as they can liaise together to help your problems.
- Psychotherapy/Hypnotherapy - highly recommended by the top hEDS doctors to help with pain and symptom management. Our therapist has a lot of experience dealing with patients in pain who are looking for ways to help themselves.
- Physical Trainer - This is gym based and for those patients who are ready to progress from the foundation exercises of Pilates. Our Trainer assesses you and designs a bespoke program for you. This is best done in conjunction with being under the care of the Physios as they can liaise together to help your problems.
- All of our services are private, our prices are on our website. We are happy if patients just want to come for a 'one-off' session, or as and when you need. We can tailor things to suit you.
- Ehlers Danlos GP Toolkit - https://www.rcgp.org.uk/clinical-and-research/resources/toolkits/ehlers-danlos-syndromes-toolkit.aspx
- The Ehlers Danlos Society - https://www.ehlers-danlos.com
- Ehlers Danlos UK - https://www.ehlers-danlos.org
- The Hypermobility Syndromes Association - http://hypermobility.org
- Hydration leaflet from Dr Ann McCarthy at The London Hypermobility Unit - Download [PDF]
"I have now been diagnosed with EDS and inflammatory arthritis after years of being told that the pain and blackouts were due to growing. Anna was the first person to talk to me like an adult with any measurable intelligence and she has helped me to get a diagnosis."
"Working with Tom, the personal trainer at Physiocure®, has helped strengthen my muscles and improve my core stability so I can get back to running. This means the world to me."
"I have now been able to see a consultant rheumatologist in London who is helping me manage the Arthritis and EDS."
"Thanks to Anna and Tom for taking me seriously when nobody else would. Without the help and care from both these people I would not be in the place I am now."